Thursday, June 20, 2013

Mystery bird

 

I pretty much recognize the sound of every bird here.  Except this one.

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eptrKNGNFDg&feature=youtu.be

 

Sitting on our deck in the morning, drinking coffee, this one voice stands out.  It’s the steady almost croaking sound.  There is no way to go find it and see what it is; it’s in the mesquite forest on the other side of our fence.  Somebody else’s property.

 

I have guesses.  It sounds like a substantial bird.  Maybe a Roadrunner or Yellow-billed Cuckoo.  It doesn’t match up with the tone and tempo of any recordings I have for them though.  Closest match is a Black-billed Cuckoo.  That’s much less likely to be here and the match is not conclusive anyway.  Darn birds, they develop their own regional vernacular.  If I’m listening to a bird recorded in Arkansas, it might sound a little different from one I hear in Texas.

 

Someone out there knows this sound.  Is it you?

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment