Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Exercise

 

It won’t be comfortable to jog, or even walk fast for the next few weeks.  My exercise is reduced to a casual walk through the house for 20 or 30 minutes each day.  That doesn’t really feel like enough though so I had to come up with something else.  Luckily I have this long latent talent for juggling.  Giving my upper body something to do while I’m wandering the house seems like a positive addition to my slow-moving routine.

 

I find that, in a way, walking through the house while juggling is a lot like flying the little remote control helicopter.  Master forward and reverse.  Navigate from room-to-room through doorways and pinch-points without glancing off a wall and careening out of control.  Don’t trip over the dogs.  Make a 180 and retrace a route.  It’s a challenge.

 

I remember doing jumping jacks when I was younger.  They were so easy it was laughable that jumping jacks could be considered exercise.  Now I find that walking around the house while holding my arms up and moving them in any way is challenge enough.  I don’t need any weights; the weight of my arms is plenty.  My arms must be a lot heavier now.  I think about it this way: muscle is more dense than fat, and with the difficulty I encounter now compared to then, I can only conclude that I must be a lot more muscular now.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment