Thursday, May 23, 2013

Economics

 

A recent continuing education experience included a segment on economics.  I like economics and I enjoyed that segment, but just the same as all those years ago when I was in college, performance is measured by growth.  Growth is good.  No growth or negative growth is bad.  It’s that easy.

 

Growth is an absolute measure of good.  I recall a professor expressing it as “Either you are growing or you’re dying.  There is no such thing as staying the same.”  Something didn’t feel right about that then, and it still doesn’t now.  Growth as an absolute measure of good makes sense for a while, but ultimately has to be its own downfall.  Growth that consumes resources has to be considered in relation to the total resources available.

 

The real study of economics probably acknowledges that growth has to be considered in context, and I’m making something out of nothing; I just haven’t stumbled into that depth of knowledge yet.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment