Monday, April 1, 2013

I was wrong

 

I didn’t really pass a kidney stone at the airport three weeks ago.  I just moved it.  I’ve still got it.

 

A trip to the emergency room last night and a CAT scan confirmed that not only do I have a kidney stone, I have *two* kidney stones.  The one in the left kidney is static.  The one on the right is the one doing all the drama right now.

 

Stones don’t necessarily go all the way out in one episode.  They only hurt when they’re moving.  They might only move once every few minutes, hours, days, or even months.  No telling when they’re actually done and gone, unless you catch one with a strainer, or maybe get a final CAT scan to confirm it’s really gone.  This is the first time I’ve ever gotten one on a CAT scan.  We’re going to work our way through the rest of this process with a Urologist to see if we can get better information about where it is and what it’s doing, as well as why I’m suddenly getting them now.  Some diet or supplement trigger I presume.

 

Anyway, at the hospital they gave me some medications to help the stone continue moving and now I’m back home again.  Demerol intravenously at the E.R.  Something else by injection (Tramadol I think) when the Demerol didn’t get it.  Hydrocodone orally at home.  I’m pretty stoned.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment