Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Travel Day

 

I’m in Denver.

 

Our long-time Office Manager, who did that and everything else, is suddenly gone.  I’ve flown to Denver to help recruit another Office Manager, and keep up with everything at the office in the meantime.  We’re in Busy Season.  Everyone else is already fully occupied doing audits.

 

I checked a bag at the airport.  For a while, I thought maybe my bag was going to fly to Denver without me.  I’ve been feeling the burning ache precursor to a kidney stone for several days.  It struck me while I was at the McAllen Airport waiting for my flight.

 

Kidney stones are painful enough to distract you from whatever else you meant to be doing at the time.  I ended up on my knees on the floor hunched over between some chairs at an unattended gate.  I didn’t need any help.  No-one offered any.  I just needed to let the paid pass.  If anyone noticed me, they probably just thought I was praying for a new Pope; and maybe mumbling something in Latin.

 

Kidney stones come on suddenly, and they can go away rather quickly as well (although not as suddenly as they come on).  The stone passed.  The searing pain let up, and I heard the final call over the P.A. for Steve Taylor at Gate 1.  They had just given up on me and were determined to scold me at the gate, but after a quick explanation, they relented and unlocked the door to the jetway and let me board.  The flight was uneventful and I’m happy to say my brief stay and plane change in Houston was practically boring by comparison to McAllen.

 

So here I am in Denver.  I’ve met with Ken tonight.  I’ve toured the new offices.  Tomorrow I go back to work at the Denver Office of Taylor, Roth and Company.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment