Monday, July 9, 2012

Cataract

 

We went to the ophthalmologist and she said I needed cataract surgery.  After thinking about it a little I realize, of course I need cataract surgery.  That’s what the ophthalmologist does.  They do eye exams and surgery.  They don’t sell glasses.  We’ve always gone to the optometrist for eye exams before.

 

I always had perfect vision.  At about 40 years old, I started losing the ability to focus close-up.  That’s absolutely normal and easily managed with reading glasses.  Now I’m losing some vision in one eye due to the cataract, but I have another eye that works just fine.  If I cover my right eye, there is a degradation in my vision, but if I cover my left eye, or don’t cover either eye, I don’t notice any decrease in vision at all, except for up close.

 

I’m sure the cataract surgery and lens replacement is a great solution when it’s time, but $6,000, and surgery to my eyeballs, seems like an extreme fix for a defect that is not causing me any trouble.  It feels like a $6,000 solution to a $200 problem.

 

I think I’ll go to our optometrist in Colorado (who sells glasses) and see what solution she suggests.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment