Monday, November 7, 2011

Life sucks

 

We stopped in the afternoon to exchange some merchandise at Lowe’s.  We were listening to the Bronco game on Sirius Radio.  Judy was so kind as to go inside to take care of business and leave me in the car to wait and listen.

 

I listened to the Broncos, but I was distracted by the screeching sounds out my window.  I drove back around to the street and parked right next to the Green Parakeets.

 

It seemed too early in the day for them to be there, but there they were.  I estimate 250 of them.  Even though my angle is crooked, you have to listen to them to get the full effect.

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wcvGT09CMA

 

The parakeets are fun, but I can see them any time I choose to go to that part of McAllen in the morning or evening.  I was really excited to spot 4 red-crowned parrots in the middle of all these parakeets though.  I still need red-crowned parrots for my year-list.

 

But on closer inspection, I found my red-crowned parrots weren’t.  They were Mitred Parakeets.

 

 

Mitred Parakeets?  They aren’t even listed as being here.  They are so not here that they’re not even on the ebird list of birds that might possibly be here.  I can’t even record them on the list.

 

Sometimes life just isn’t fair.

 

 

Oh.  Wait.  I emailed Mary Gustafson about the Mitred Parakeets.  She just wrote back and explained how to do a write-in entry on ebird for *really* unusual birds.  I got to count them after all.  Thank you Mary.  Year-bird number 382.  (We already had them on the life-list from Florida.)

 

Life is good again.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment