Monday, November 22, 2010

Memory Foam

 

Brother David gets to sleep on a Tempurpedic.  I love the way the Tempurpedic Memory Foam mattress feels…..until I sleep on it.  Remember how it felt as a kid when you fell asleep on the naugahyde couch and you woke up with your face in a puddle?  That’s how it feels to me by morning when I sleep on memory foam.  I have to have a fabric that breathes under me.  That was my problem for all those years with a waterbed.  Same with the Sleep Number air bed.  When we buy a conventional mattress, the more money we spend on it, the more foam it is likely to have in it, the more likely I am not to be able to sleep on it.  I’m a memory-foam sissy.  This was never a problem in the olden days; everything was made out of cotton.  They had barely discovered foam rubber.  Now, when I explain my problem to mattress salesmen I get a blank stare.  All mattresses have foam in them.  I’ve had a custom mattress built for our motorhome, but it wasn’t any better.  Nobody understands me………

 

Until a few weeks ago.  That’s when I discovered this site:

 

http://www.coolingmattress.com/

 

I read their story.  They nailed it.  They understand me.  They describe why I’m uncomfortable on memory foam.  It’s because memory foam doesn’t breathe and heat builds up underneath me.  Then they provide the products to overcome that discomfort.  They were quick.  A few days later I had a cooling mattress pad and a cooling blanket.  Straight on the bed and…….. and…….. a terrible night’s sleep.  The 100% polyester “Outlast” fill didn’t regulate my body to a comfortable temperature by transferring excess heat away and returning it when I was cooler and needed warming.  It didn’t seem to breathe at all.  Maybe I shouldn’t have started with both the mattress pad *and* the blanket.  We slept another night on just the mattress pad; then another with just the blanket.  I called their help line.  Bottom line:  “Our product doesn’t work for everyone.”

 

It didn’t work for me.  We’re back to our 100% cotton mattress pad which is *almost* just right as long as we only sleep on the least expensive mattress we can get.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment