Monday, March 22, 2010

It's busy season

Mostly I work; sometimes I bird. I talk about birding a lot and don’t talk about work at all. I suppose I could shut up about birds and just talk about work every day. In the meantime…

During the winter a person can go to Paradise Pond and only get 4 or 5 different kinds of birds. Now that the migration is underway, I can get ten or twelve without having to count gulls and grackles. And it will get better yet.

Yesterday we got:

Black-bellied Whistling-Duck
Blue-winged Teal
Great Blue Heron
Black-crowned Night-Heron
Yellow-crowned Night-Heron
American Coot
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
Yellow-rumped Warbler
Yellow-throated Warbler
Black-and-white Warbler
Prothonotary Warbler
Louisiana Waterthrush

Today we got White-eyed Vireo, Orange-crowned Warbler, Northern Parula, Black-throated Green Warbler, Prothonotary Warbler, Hooded Warbler, Savannah Sparrow, and Northern Cardinal too. Sixteen birds at Paradise Pond.

Another sure sign of Spring. The Scissor-tailed Flycatcher.


No comments:

Post a Comment