Saturday, April 4, 2009

Saturday

 

My arms are better, by the way.  Blister/bumps all gone, my face doesn’t hurt any more, and I’ve lost my supersensitivity to the sun.  I can go outside normally again.  The hole in my leg is the same size it has been this whole time, it’s just not as deep.  At its worst, it was 8 millimeters deep.  Now it’s only about 1 millimeter deep.  When it’s through filling in, skin is supposed to grow back across the top.

 

A housewarming for a friend of ours this afternoon (just a “girls” thing), I drove Judy over to Ingleside, then had to occupy myself watching birds at Blucher and Indian Point Park.

 

After dropping Judy off, on my way to go birding, I got passed by a brilliant yellow Yamaha R6 crotch rocket.  Four lane highway.  Fifty five mile per hour speed limit.  No traffic to speak of, just me and the pickup truck and the motorcycle.  Two bends in the road to get past, then open road.  The motorcycle was just a little faster than us through the right hand curve, but he got on it a little too soon for the left hand curve.  He couldn’t hold the inside lane.  Then he couldn’t hold the outside lane.  He started wobbling when he hit the sand on the shoulder.  He was doing about seventy when he left the road.  He kept it together for a really long time after he hit the grass and sand before the end-over-end tumble began.  Pieces flying everywhere, twenty feet high maybe thirty, one of the pieces being the rider.  I was rolling along right behind him, so I was arriving as everything was still bouncing.  To my great relief, as soon as everything stopped, the rider popped right up, swearing and throwing his helmet.  Young guy, terribly pissed off, but only at himself for being stupid.  The bike was a total wreck, but the grass and sand was forgiving.  He was okay.

 

Highlights of the birdwatching: Ovenbird, and a great big night bird; a Chuck-Wills-Widow.

 

All packed up today.  We’re leaving tomorrow morning for Brazos Bend again.  One more thing to do on the internet dish.  We lost a skew motor (now our dish is all skewed up).  The dish repair guy will meet us there and should take care of it in one day.