Monday, January 14, 2008

Update

Life is different now. When we have a doctor’s appointment we pack a bag and make arrangements with the neighbors to take care of Annie. We don’t know if we’re going to get to come right home. I have had enough discomfort exercising that we didn’t really expect to leave the cardio rehab lab today and go right home. We expected to be referred back to the cath lab for more work. We packed a bag.

It didn’t go like we planned. While attached to a heart monitor, I got to walk, ride a stationary bike, crank the arm-bike, and walk fast on the treadmill. My calculated maximum heart rate is 158. I got to get into the 140s before they slowed me down. It felt great!

Maybe it just takes a few weeks to get past the initial discomfort of them messing around inside my heart. In repairing the blood flow to most of my heart, flow to a small section was lost. The doctor told us then that, over time, I would probably develop collateral arteries to that section. Maybe the collateral vessels just kicked in. Or maybe I just needed adult supervision.

Whatever; we’re delighted with the result. We’ll continue to exercise every day (in moderation). We’ll continue with the supervised cardio rehab several days a week. Major progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment