Thursday, November 8, 2007

Anza borrego

We’re in the southern foothills of Anza Borrego; elevation 2,500 feet; not the central part of the park. We took a drive to the central part, Borrego Springs. It’s a city at sea level, completely surrounded by the state park. Time came for a walk. Combined the walk with a search through the sparse desert vegetation for the LeConte’s thrasher. When I finished the walk, I was in a quandary. I’m supposed to tell Judy if I have chest pains; but I always have chest pains. I’m supposed to tell her when I have unusual chest pain. Our doctor told us the first symptom of heart trouble I’ll have will be exercised induced chest pain. This was definitely connected to exercise. Didn’t hurt at all until I started walking. Of course, there are other issues to follow, but it all starts with telling Judy. I was still working on whether the pain was unusual or not when Judy remarked on how much the air pollution was hurting her chest. That’s why it was familiar! It was smog! Looked across the valley that Borrego Springs is in, and there was a haze.

We are such weenies; just a dribble of smog over the California mountains and it hurts our lungs to breathe. No smog resistance left.