Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Health update

Two kinds of heart tests: both form and function. The results…. Contradictory.

The form test, the heart scan, says I have advanced coronary heart disease; significant accumulation of plaque on or in my arteries. In fact, I'm in the worst ten percent of men my age. I have lowered my cholesterol in the last two years without using prescription drugs, but apparently not enough. The heart scan is worse than the one from two years ago.

The other look, the function test, the nuclear stress test on the treadmill, says there is absolutely no compromise of function; blood flow through all arteries is perfect. Odd huh? Which test do we believe? The cardiologist says both results are legitimate.

Unmedicated, my resting heart rate is 55, blood pressure 120s over 70s, calculated maximum heart rate 160, my maximum heart rate on the treadmill 165. How can my heart be in such bad shape, yet be in such good shape? Now we need to lower my LDL cholesterol enough to stop the accumulation of plaque. We need to drug it.

Boggles the mind, doesn’t it? It boggles both of ours.