Monday, March 20, 2006

Racquetball

Remember how I was always telling you how good I was at racquetball? Well, nevermind. Now I suck at racquetball.

Up till now, my game hadn’t changed at all. I hadn’t been on a court in months, but hadn’t missed a day in my head. I recently went on a court, expecting to play that game that was still in my head.

It didn’t happen.

My body wasn’t ready for it. It hurt my elbow to follow through on the backhand stroke. I think I hyperextended it. I had no wind. Apparently two mile slow jogs on the beach at sea level aren’t much preparation for the bursts required for racquetball at five thousand feet. I thought at least I’d be able to hit the ball with some pace, but noooo. No timing. Popups. Line drives into the dirt. Wasn’t much there.

It got better after I found someone to play, but it never got good. I guess I can’t preserve the game by just thinking about it.