Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Numbers

I’ve been thinking about numbers. You might not think that unusual, what with me being an accountant, but it is. Usually, when I think about numbers, I’m thinking about what they represent, not the actual numbers themselves. Thinking about it now, though, I realize I have favorite numbers, and numbers that are clearly not in favor.

I like even numbers. I like numbers to be divisible by two. If they’re divisible by five, even better. Divisible by both is the best.

I discovered this while driving. The cruise control has a digital readout. I don’t have to look at it while I’m driving. I can leave the monitor set on another screen. But if I look at the readout, I find myself wanting it set on an even number, a whole number. I don’t want it set on 60.5, I want it set on 60. I’ll set it on 62, but not 61. Even numbers, or divisible by 5.

Now that I recognize the trend, I notice it in other endeavors, like setting the digital thermostat. I’ll set it on 70 or 72, but no way I’ll set it on 71.

I don’t know why these numbers matter, they just do.