Tuesday, January 3, 2006

Port a


Driving here, eastbound on Interstate 10, we decided not to drive through
San Antonio. We turned south at Kerrville on a small Texas highway, Highway
173, to skirt San Antonio, and followed it around to Interstate 37 south to
Corpus Christi. A random choice. It just seemed like a good idea at the
time. As we were driving, we were surprised to see the sign declaring this
to be the 173d Airborne Brigade Memorial Highway. How about that! My duty
assignment from forty years ago.

Snuck up on me, that highway. I was surprised such a highway existed, and
surprised by my reaction. I haven't had many good feelings about the Army
experience, but I felt really good about this. Glad they weren't
memorializing me specifically, I survived the experience, but appreciated
the acknowledgement. Nice they did that.