Monday, August 29, 2005

Colorado


With only one game remaining in the preseason, the Broncos are undefeated.
I think they're going all the way.

Racquetball in Grand Junction. Racquetball in Cortez. Racquetball in Las
Vegas. I don't ever have a match, so I just go hit the ball in an empty
court and lurk. I watch for someone else that might want to play.

On the way into the courts in Las Vegas, I saw a guy hitting in another
court. He was kind of old, didn't look to be in very good shape, and his
shots were weak. There wasn't anything there for me, so I went on to my
court and started warming up my shots. Shortly, here he came, the guy with
nothing, to introduce himself and invite me to play a game. Oh well.

He was properly hospitable and gave me the serve to start. I was careful
with him and didn't serve it too hard. He returned it well. After ten
minutes, I was well beyond being careful with him. All we had done is trade
serves, with only the occasional point scored. I was down four to one. His
stroke mechanics are horrible. He has no power. What he has is a game that
puts the other guy in a position to hit a weak shot, then he steps up and
capitalizes on it. He has a game!

I like to outhit the other guy if I can. All I have to do is hit the
perfect backhand power shot from the deepest corner of the back court. An
offensive shot from the back court that is perfectly executed is a beautiful
thing. However, an offensive shot that is almost right is much worse than a
mediocre defensive shot that is designed to move the other person around in
the court and get them out of position. An offensive shot that just misses
comes back out to the center of the court for the other guy to put away. I
played the game I wanted to play. I hit it hard. I broke away in the
middle part and got a comfortable lead, but somehow that evaporated and he
was ahead again by the end of the game. I was down twelve to fourteen when
I got the serve back, got lucky, and served out the game. Thirty minutes to
play one game! I won it........ by one point!

I've been working on maintaining my shots. Guess I need to work on my
scouting skills too.