Sunday, January 30, 2005

Colorado

Sunday.

Enough lurking. Now it's time to get there and start the job tomorrow.
Drove through Grand Junction, Debeque Canyon, Parachute, Rulison, and Rifle.
Nice lunch stop in Rifle at that rest stop that has the little lake. A run
around the lake. A nice day for a run. Cold enough for mittens.
Forty-five degrees. Mittens and shorts. It's not a very big lake, but
that's okay. I don't need a very long run. Fifteen minutes or twenty.
Canada Geese on the pond. As I'm running the back side, a flock glides in
for a splashdown. Snow on the mountains all around.


Silt, Newcastle, Glenwood Springs, Glenwood Canyon particularly beautiful
today. Surprised by how many fly fishermen we saw on the river. It's
January! Sunny, forty-five degrees, and January. There were even two drift
boats. Stopped right on the other side of Glenwood Canyon at the Riverdance
RV Park. It's a high country park, but open year round. I'll commute the
twenty miles to Edwards for the job.


A year ago, I threw out a question that nobody answered. Sometimes the wind
comes up when we're driving and I can feel its influence. Sometimes,
though, I think I feel rough air even when the wind is not blowing. So,
Skip. You're an aeronaut. You know something about air don't you? Is it
possible to drive through rough air even when it's not windy? Ground level
clear air turbulence?