Tuesday, June 15, 2004

Las Vegas

Monday.

Hey. This is not like vacation. I have to get up at 6:30 to make the 8am
conference start each day.

Here at this park, we're at another WiFi location. If you can connect, you
get high speed wireless access. I have a modern laptop computer. We use a
wireless network at work all the time. I thought maybe I could change the
configuration, and log on to their WiFi service. The WiFi service offers a
tech support line. I called. It's not that easy. First, the tech support
guy had me change all my internet settings, then he told me it wouldn't
work. Matt, I'm going to need some help when I get home. I went back to
the park office and bought the wireless LAN unit I can plug into my
computer. That works. Now I own the unit. For a subscription fee of $30
per month, I have WiFi at any park that offers it. Now, when we're working
out of town, we need to start scheduling which parks to stay at by whether
they offer WiFi or not.

As cool as the GPS navigator system is, when you put the right address in,
know what they don't show? Rest stops. Think about it. If you're planning
a program to help people travel, wouldn't you want to indicate where the
next rest stop is? I can't believe they didn't do that. In fact, I'm so
convinced they wouldn't do that, I think it's pilot error. I think they did
it, and Judy and I just haven't been able to find it yet.

A ten-hour day at the conference. Long day. We talked about the future,
billing what you're worth, digital CPA firms, and managing conflict.

Tomorrow.... More.