Thursday, May 20, 2004

Pagosa Springs

Monday

Started the next job. Another scary one. Might have a large prior period
adjustment. Spent the day setting up, and working on fund balance issues.
If I got a job where I only had to look at the year I was auditing now, and
they had the current year all together, it would seem like a vacation.

Back at the ranch, we have the constant background buzzing of hummingbirds,
but they haven't found our feeder yet. We have to walk up to the feeders at
the office to get a good look at them. Black-chinned, just like everywhere
else we go in Colorado. Some broadtails. I'm hoping to see a Rufous while
we're out this trip. That's a good possibility, but I think they arrive a
little later. Some grosbeaks found the seed feeder we set up across the
way. That's the best look we've gotten at them.

The orioles are such large, graceful, colorful birds. They have a nice song
to sing, but they also make a startling squawk. It is surprising for such a
beautiful bird. When you hear a parakeet squawking off in the distance,
that means there are orioles around.

Took my flyrod over to the pond to see if I could bug any fish. What I
found was a riot of swallows swooping all over the surface. Violet green,
cliff, and the occasional barn.

Figured out the bird we didn't recognize. It was a female western bluebird.
It would have been easier to recognize if a male had been around.

Judy bought a week's pass at the hot springs.