Friday, May 14, 2004

Creede

Friday. Our anniversary. Number thirty-eight.

All through with the job in Creede. Stayed right here at this camp, though.
Got to work on the Glenwood Springs job and finish it. When I get to a good
phone connection, I've got two files I can send back to the office now.

Rags has really adapted well to this trip. He is getting so good about not
dashing out the door. We haven't hit bug season yet, so we can put him on a
leash outside, and leave the door wide open. He stalks about in the grass,
laying waste to tiny critters, and can go back and forth into and out of the
house as he pleases.

When I finished my work, Judy and I took a drive. More Jeep roads up the
canyon north of town. We found the coolest four-wheel drive road. So
steep. So narrow. Right up the face of a mountain. Right up the side of a
mountain, until just before the summit the road disappeared under a snow
bank. No chance of plowing though that. No chance of turning around. Very
very slowly, with Judy looking out one window, and me out the other, we
backed down to a place on the face where we could turn around.

Judy observed that this was the roughest steepest scariest road we had ever
driven. Then she drove.

Back down off the pass, we admired a beaver pond. I'll send some pictures
of our "Beaver Encounter".

Drove down the canyon for a nice anniversary dinner at the Blue Creek Café.
It was everything a small roadside Café high in the mountains should be.
I've got to get me some of those trout shaped light bulb covers.


At Creede, we're pretty deep into southwest Colorado. Saturday, we'll head
deeper.