Tuesday, December 2, 2003

Traffic

We got to drive on a new road. They're building that loop road around Denver. Interstate 470. Only a quarter of it is actually interstate. Each part that is funded without federal dollars gets a different kind of name. We have C-470. The E-470 toll road. The Northwest Parkway toll road. That's our part. The Northwest Parkway. Before this, three quarters of the loop have been completed. I-70 and I-25 cross in the middle of Denver. From I-70 on the west side, you can loop around to the south to I-25, then take the toll road up the east side to I-70, then continue on past the new airport to join I-25 well north of Denver. It's 70 mph all the way. This newest section links the I-25 part with the Denver Boulder Turnpike. We pick it up about three miles from our house. It covers about one-third of the missing quarter. All that remains is to finish off the section between the turnpike and I-70 west of Denver.


It's a toll road. We have a transponder, so we can drive on it any time it's convenient, and never have to stop to pay a toll, though. It will just charge automatically to our credit card. That will be particularly handy anytime we want to leave the area in the motorhome during heavy traffic hours. For a few dollars, we can drive all the way around Denver with essentially no traffic. I think I like that it's a toll road.