Wednesday, June 18, 2003

Trip10

Sunday, Monday, Tuesday

Got a nice early start, with a twelve-foot Mistral Maui laid on edge and bunjied to the couch and dinette. The mast is a lot longer, about fifteen feet. It goes in through the driver’s side window and feeds back to lay in the bedroom, sticking out into the hall. The boom lays on the bed. The mast and boom come out and go under the motorhome every night. The board stays where it is.

Drove north to Kingman to turn right to Flagstaff, so we could head diagonally up through Monument Valley into Utah and home. Didn’t do it. Changed our minds on Interstate 40. Continued on east until just before the New Mexico border, then turned north to Canyon De Chelly. Spent the night there. Watched a woman demonstrate the no-hose-dump technique at the dump station. That was disgusting. Looked around at the park the next morning. Headed north into Utah and joined up with our planned route there. We continued north to have lunch in Arches National Park (have to go back there), cruised on and ended up just outside Glenwood Springs for our last night out. Got a camp spot in an RV park at No Name exit with our rear-end hanging out over a nice noisy part of the river. Picture attached. The river was wonderfully noisy, but not as noisy as the trains rounding the bend in the river on the other side. Honking, thundering, screaming steel-on-steel trains.

No telling where you mind will wander while you’re wandering about. This trip I decided what my next book will be about. Hey. My brother David can write books, why can’t I? I even have a title for it: “RV for Free”. Beyond WalMart. Here is the plan. We drive all over the country for an entire year, finding all the different places you can stay for free. Legally. Then we write a book about it. How hard could that be?

This morning we were admiring the river and cliffs and watching the swallows swirl. Made it home by eleven and I was off to work by twelve. It was a good day at work, and I’m all ready for tomorrow. Back to reality.

Oh. But before I get back to reality, there is one more thing about racquetball. Before I left on this trip, I finally got the long awaited opportunity to share my racquetball stroke mechanics breakthrough with Woody(coach). I gave him my four paragraph analysis of power strokes, which concludes in the fourth paragraph with my breakthrough. He was great. He read it, thought about it, analyzed it. He said it got me to a good place. It works for me. He also told me I need to reorder a few of my observations in order of priority. He told me to throw out some of my observations as irrelevant, or misguided. Then he told me that the reason I needed to do what I described in the fourth paragraph, was because there was a point I had missed in the first paragraph.

OH YEAH!?!?

I liked getting his analysis of my analysis. Now I have to think about it some more to see if I can agree with him. That could take awhile. I really like where I ended up. But then again, if I can get to the same place in one paragraph instead of four …..

OK. Now. Back to reality.