Sunday, March 16, 2003

Rball

Well, I've suffered a racquetball setback. I'm on injured reserve.



Got hit in the foot with a racquet. A straight shot right across the big toe. Jammed it. Split the toenail. Turned the whole thing purple. I can still walk, but not very well.



You try to be careful how you play and who you play. There is a lot of trust involved, playing this hard in a confined space. There has to be an understanding that safety is more important than points. Getting hit with a ball is no big deal. It hurts, but it is not disabling. Getting hit with a racquet is something else. If someone is at risk, you don't take the shot. You hold up, call a hinder, the other player thanks you and gladly replays the point.



I try to be careful who I play with or against. It is just not worth getting in there with a wild man.



This time, however, I didn't have the option of playing or not playing. I was the only one in the room. I was alone, practicing.



Maybe I won't try that shot in competition.