Wednesday, December 11, 2002

Trains

Now I have a train mystery.

There are two different manufacturers of G scale track. As far as I know,
they are identical, except that Aristo track has little tiny screws to
secure all the joints, and LGB track does not. I prefer the Aristo track,
because then I don't have to ballast the entire loop, just the part that
needs support.

So I have two loops of track, one entirely LGB, and one entirely Aristo.
The LGB track is locked into place with ballast.

As long as the weather is warm and dry, the trains run identically. As it
gets colder and damp, the train on the Aristo track slips and loses traction
on the corners, while the identical locomotive on the LGB loop continues to
run smoothly. I've eliminated all the variables I can think of. It is not
the locomotive. It is not the cars. There is no difference in grade, or
curve radius.

It is a mystery. I can only think of two possibilities I haven't been able
to eliminate. It could have something to do with track gauge, and it only
shows up in the corners, when the track is a little more slippery. Or there
is some difference in the chemical composition of the track between the two
manufacturers, and one is slightly more slippery under these conditions than
the other. I made a tool to measure the gauge of the track, and the
difference between the two is only about a millimeter. Doesn't seem like
enough to cause this problem. One track catches moisture and the train
slips, and the other doesn't?

I tried calling the train store, and speaking with their best G scale man,
but he had never encountered this problem.

????